Can You Get Sick from Mold in Your House?

Dry Tech Waterproofing Solutions is an experienced contractor with 25 years of experience, whose experts can help you prevent the health hazards of mold by waterproofing your home.
main_page

If you don’t believe that you need to hurry up with basement waterproofing, even though you can see and smell mold in it, then you need to know the risks to which you expose yourself and your family. Mold spores become airborne. That is, every time you spend time in the basement, even for a few minutes, you are inhaling mold.

At first, you are not aware of the problem, but soon you will experience the first worrying symptoms: sneezing and coughing. And it will only get worse from then on if you do not solve the mold problem in the house.

What Is House Mold?

But what is mold and why should you worry about it? Mold is a form of fungus that grows very rapidly in warm and damp environments. Thus, a basement and a bathroom with damaged waterproofing are the perfect environments for mold to develop. Mold spreads through spores – tiny reproductive seeds of the organism. Once you breathe in mold spores, they find perfect breeding ground in your lungs or even get into your blood.

Thus, you and your family will soon experience the negative effects of mold on your health. Some of these can turn into lifelong problems, such as asthma or allergy, or even put your life in danger. The health hazards of mold are even higher for infants, the elderly and persons with a weakened immune system.

What Causes Mold to Grow Indoors?

As we stated above, mold spores find moist areas the perfect breeding ground. They are hardy organisms, surviving even dry and cold environments. However, once they find a warm and humid surface, such as a wooden floor, drywall, a carpet or the space between bathroom tiles, the spores will take hold and start spreading.

Damaged or poor waterproofing in basements and old grouting in the bathroom provide mold with the perfect place to thrive. And since they are airborne, they can quickly spread to your entire house. But how do you get sick? What happens if you inhale mold? Let us find out.

What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Mold Exposure?

Most people are unaware that the first symptoms of mold exposure are actually linked to mold spores. Nosebleeds, headaches and shortness of breath are usually put down to stress and working too hard. But things will get worse from here on if you do not consider calling an expert to check for a mold problem in the house.

The health risks of mold will escalate to:

  • Joint and muscle pain and cramping
  • Severe migraines
  • Frequent colds and flu
  • Fatigue and weakness
  • Dizziness, brain for and poor memory.

Yes, all these mold health issues can happen even to a fit and healthy person. According to a study by the Institute of Medicine cited by the Center for Disease Control, there is enough evidence linking indoor exposure to mold with different upper respiratory tract ailments, cough and wheezing in healthy individuals. More recent studies indicate a link between inhaling mold and the development of asthma in children.

Thus, some of the most common health hazards of mold include:

  • Asthma 
  • Allergy and irritation, with symptoms such as: runny nose, dry cough, watery eyes, sore throat and skin rashes
  • Respiratory infections, such as bronchitis
  • Toxic Mold Syndrome, with various symptoms, including headaches and respiratory symptoms.

What Are the Signs of Mold in Your House?

Now let us focus on the root cause of all these health issues: the presence of mold spores in your house. How do you know you have mold? First of all, you will notice its specific musty smell. It is quite unpleasant and impossible to ignore.

In the bathroom, you will notice dark grout between the tiles. That may be hard to remove dirt, but it can also be mold. If you clean the grout thoroughly and the blackness reappears in a short time, then it is definitely mold.

Finally, the walls of your home will have telltale signs of mold, such as:

  • Dark spots
  • Peeling paint or wallpaper
  • Patches of grey fuzz.

Mold Prevention

Prevention is always the best solution for avoiding the health risks of mold. Here are a few simple ways to make sure that your house is mold-free:

  • Use dehumidifiers and make sure that the humidity level indoors is below 60%
  • Dry any wet areas as soon as possible, at any rate within 24 hours
  • Fix all kinds of leaks and seepage in the basement
  • Have your A/C and heating unit properly maintained by specialized contractors; they will know when to clean or replace the filters that stop mold spores from entering your house
  • Make sure that your house is properly ventilated at all times
  • Insulate cold surfaces, especially exterior walls and basement floor, to avoid condensation.

Of course, in some cases you may need mold remediation services. Removing mold from your house is specialized work, depending on the room and the affected surface. Professional contractors will be able to identify the precise extent of mold growth in your home and select the best method to completely remove it.

Conclusion

The health hazards of mold are too serious to ignore by anyone. At Dry Tech Waterproofing, we have over 25 years of experience helping homeowners keep their houses safe and dry. We can help you with basement waterproofing, foundation repair and drainage services in:

  • Eagleville
  • Drexel Hill
  • Downingtown
  • King of Prussia
  • Norristown
  • Philadelphia
  • Pottstown

Call us now: 888-537-9832!

Cactus

Schedule Your Free estimate

We promise to lessen the stress of your basement or crawl space troubles with our comprehensive water management, mold remediation, and foundation repair solutions. Fill out the form to get a free estimate!

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google
Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Now Let’s Protect Your Basement!

Proudly Serving The Tri-State Area