Before we go on and explore how to get rid of basement smell, exploring the underlying causes is necessary. Remember, the odor is merely a symptom. To remove it, you must address the actual problem, i.e., get rid of the real issue, and the musty smell will go away.
Here are some of the most common causes of musty smell in basement:
- Water coming in from basement windows
- Water coming in exterior entrances of basements
- Moisture coming in from windows of an upper floor
- Moisture coming in from doors of an upper floor
- Leakage in the plumbing from the upper floor
- Moisture seeping in from the kitchen from the upper floor