But what is mold and why should you worry about it? Mold is a form of fungus that grows very rapidly in warm and damp environments. Thus, a basement and a bathroom with damaged waterproofing are the perfect environments for mold to develop. Mold spreads through spores – tiny reproductive seeds of the organism. Once you breathe in mold spores, they find perfect breeding ground in your lungs or even get into your blood.
Thus, you and your family will soon experience the negative effects of mold on your health. Some of these can turn into lifelong problems, such as asthma or allergy, or even put your life in danger. The health hazards of mold are even higher for infants, the elderly and persons with a weakened immune system.
As we stated above, mold spores find moist areas the perfect breeding ground. They are hardy organisms, surviving even dry and cold environments. However, once they find a warm and humid surface, such as a wooden floor, drywall, a carpet or the space between bathroom tiles, the spores will take hold and start spreading.
Damaged or poor waterproofing in basements and old grouting in the bathroom provide mold with the perfect place to thrive. And since they are airborne, they can quickly spread to your entire house. But how do you get sick? What happens if you inhale mold? Let us find out.
Most people are unaware that the first symptoms of mold exposure are actually linked to mold spores. Nosebleeds, headaches and shortness of breath are usually put down to stress and working too hard. But things will get worse from here on if you do not consider calling an expert to check for a mold problem in the house.
The health risks of mold will escalate to:
Now let us focus on the root cause of all these health issues: the presence of mold spores in your house. How do you know you have mold? First of all, you will notice its specific musty smell. It is quite unpleasant and impossible to ignore.
In the bathroom, you will notice dark grout between the tiles. That may be hard to remove dirt, but it can also be mold. If you clean the grout thoroughly and the blackness reappears in a short time, then it is definitely mold.
Finally, the walls of your home will have telltale signs of mold, such as:
The health hazards of mold are too serious to ignore by anyone. At Dry Tech Waterproofing, we have over 25 years of experience helping homeowners keep their houses safe and dry. We can help you with basement waterproofing, foundation repair and drainage services in: